Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Beauty Talk Revisited: It's Getting Real Around Here

I feel the need to tell you that I have been sharing a bathroom with my three boys and my one man for the past ten days.



I know, right?

Anyway, we are having our master bathroom remodeled and at the risk of being all #firstworldproblems, I must say that it's getting tiresome.  And gross.  Spending a week getting myself ready among Old Spice deodorant,  Axe body wash and clumps of Drew's bubble gum toothpaste makes a girl crave some sugar and spice and everything nice.  The good news is that the bathroom remodel forced me to clean out and throw away a lot of my old make up and beauty products.  Also, it seems that lately every time I look in the mirror, I do this:



And all I can think about is PRODUCTS.  I NEED PRODUCTS.  ALL THE PRODUCTS.

So as a little escape from the boyness last week, I decided it was time to venture to the brand-spanking new Ulta that opened only minutes from my home just a couple of weeks ago.  I have never spent the big or even the medium-sized bucks on makeup and facial products.  I have been a CVS cheap loyal customer for years.  It's just that I always feel like I'm being played when the gal at the make-up counter tries to sell me some life changing magic fairy dust serum made from hummingbird wings and droplets of water from the Sea of Galilee for the bargain price of $100 an ounce.

Still, due to the alarming situation on my face, I decided to be prepared to spend a little extra and I hear that Ulta is a happy medium between very expensive department store brands and drugstore brands.  And you know what they say about a gigantic beauty product warehouse;   "If they build it, the 46 year old woman who doesn't recognize her own face will come."

It was quite overwhelming, but also beautiful and bright and as a bonus:  THERE WERE NO BOYS ANYWHERE TO BE FOUND.

I had a lot of fun the last time we discussed beauty products here, so thought I'd take the opportunity to let you know what I purchased and then I'm hoping two things:

1.  that you will comment here and let me know what products you've been liking lately and
2.  that you will refrain from commenting here to tell me that I am a pathetic SUCKER and just wasted my money.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, here's what will make its way into my sparkling, brand new bathroom soon.

SMASHBOX PHOTO FINISH FOUNDATION PRIMER




I have to be honest and tell you that I didn't really know exactly what primer was.  I had to watch a Youtube video about it.  I was really in the mood for some spackle or perhaps some grout, but this seemed to be a more reasonable and less toxic solution. 

URBAN DECAY NAKED PALETTE

I have never in my life bought eye shadow from any company other than Maybelline or Cover Girl, but I have read all kinds of glowing reviews about these eye shadows.  The chances of me actually using more than 1/3 of these colors is minimal, but I feel very hip about this purchase because the packaging is cool and maybe I feel a little like I'm living life on the edge carrying around something called, "Naked".  Also, I might feel kinda dumb because who am I, Giselle?  Whatever.  It's done.

IT COSMETICS CC+ ILLUMINATION FOUNDATION



Apparently, foundations are now either BB creams, CC creams and even DD creams.  Do you have any idea what in Sam Hill that means?  Me neither.  I looked it up and I was still confused but the CC appears to be short for "color correcting".  I'm down with that.  So, I bought this one.

IT COSMETICS EYELIFT IN A TUBE



What else does it need to have in its name?  I'm sold.  SUCKER.

RENEWED HOPE IN A JAR




Back in the day, I did not miss a single Oprah Show.  She always featured Philosophy's Hope in a Jar on her Favorite Things List.  I had actually forgotten about that until I spied this Renewed Hope in a Jar at Ulta.  What person does not need a little renewal and little hope in her life?  And it's like these people just took the Holy Bible and put it right there in a jar so that you can hand over your credit card and then slap hope and renewal all over your old, hopeless face!  God Bless America, y'all.  That is exactly what I did.

OK.  Your turn.  Give it to me straight.  Don't hold back.  And don't make fun of me.

PS.  To the people in the beauty industry who live for suckers like me.  You're welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hayley uses the naked palette, she is loyal and uses every Sephora gift card to buy a new one when she runs out.