Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fall Lovin' 2015



Hey, Guess what?  It's Fall!

I know.  It's been Fall for a while now.  And I'm such a Summer Lovin' person that it takes me a little while longer than most to embrace the onslaught of pumpkin spice and sweaters, but I think I'm officially ready.  Here are some great things about this year's fall season.

1.  FRINGE IS THE NEW BLACK
I'm seeing fringe everywhere.  On shoes, on bags, on jackets and on skirts.  And I think maybe a little fringe goes a long way, so I suggest learning to walk first, run second and only sprint if we're really feeling it. I think where fringe is concerned it is important to choose only one item per outfit.  I think maybe shoes and a bag and a jacket all at one time with fringe increases the chance you're going to get all tangled up in those strings if you aren't careful. But listen, it's a free country.   And really, do whatever you want because who says you should take fashion advice from a gal who has spent the majority of her day in her $15.00 Old Navy pjs?  Here is a progressive look at fringe.

Walk: GAP SUEDE BUCKET BAG



Gap has a collection of bags which offer a fringe tassel or two at reasonable prices if you're not ready to fully embrace the fringe craze.  The bags come in three different sizes and lots of colors.  You can choose from small cross body bags, the larger bucket bags and even larger totes.  Also Gap is offering 40% off today with the code BOO.

Jog: SAM EDELMAN LOUIE BOOT



There are all kinds of boots with fringe out there.  You can find them completely covered or with just a bit on the ankle.  I think these are really cute.  Sam Edelman also has a pair called Paige with a lower heel HERE.

Sprint:  EMANUELLE SUEDE FRINGE BUCKET BAG


Now, I have to be honest.  This bag seems like it might need it's own comb and I'm afraid the potential for tangling would drive me bananas, but I do think this is cute.

2.  MAYBE PLAID IS THE NEW BLACK

It's all over the place and I'm digging it.

OVERSIZE BLANKET SCARF  


This scarf is from www.bourbonandboots.com.  I think, honestly, that the idea of a blanket scarf for a short person, like myself, is better than the actual wearing of the blanket scarf.  I'm afraid I might look like I brought my bed with me out the door.  But if you are taller, I think this is so cute.  I also like THIS ONE from the same site.


This is pretty pricey for a button down shirt, but I love the frayed hem and the gingham on the rolled up sleeve.

3. PONCHOS
The poncho is back again.  I think the last time these were in was right after my youngest boy was born, so it was great for covering a post-partum tummy.  Now, it will work just fine for a post-lunch-at-Chipotle tummy.  Here are quite a few.

FRINGE GEOMETRIC HOODED PONCHO



This one is cute and also has the fringe trend.  I saw this quite a while ago and unfortunately it is only in limited sizes now.

CAPELLI OF NEW YORK PLAID PONCHO




I can't decide about this one.  This is what we call a big bowl of trendy because it combines fringe and plaid and the poncho.  The good news is that if you are all about trends that are in today, but might be out in about five minutes, this is only $38.00 so it might be worth a shot.


SPLENDID COLORBLOCK PONCHO


I like the simplicity of this poncho.  Unfortunately, again, since I'm so late with this post, it came in some other colors earlier in the season, but right now it looks like sizes and colors are limited. The good news is that it is 40% off which feels like a huge steal for those of us who find that money starts falling out of our hands uncontrollably as soon as we walk in the door at Anthropologie

COWL NECK PONCHO


This is another simple poncho.  Looks very comfy and grey is EVERYWHERE this season again.

4.  PUMPKIN SPICE (OBVIOUSLY)
At the risk of offending my friend, Maria, who is flat out obsessed with the pumpkin spice business, I must make a bold and likely controversial statement:

I'm afraid we've taken this a bit far.  Settle down, America.

Maria has introduced me to the fact that there are now pumpkin spice Oreos, ice creams, yogurts, marshmallows and even gum.  As she is the expert I'm going to go with her advice and tell you that she cannot stop talking about this popcorn.  I haven't tried it yet, but when I think of pumpkin spice, I think WWMD?  And I think you should, too.  Apparently, you can get it at Wegman's and Amazon.


GAME DAY FOOD
Listen.  As of this writing, my Texas Longhorns have won two games in a row.  Due to the devastating way this season started for us, I have no qualms about calling this a WINNING STREAK.  And I will continue to be a focused and dedicated fan doing my part which means that this weekend, I will need to prepare adequate Texas game day food.  Soup is always a Fall Favorite and in my house that means Tortilla Soup.  This recipe comes straight from the University of Texas Kappa Alpha Theta house where we ate this soup every week on Mexican Food Wednesday.  Yes, Mexican Food Wednesday was a thing and forgetting to go to class afterward so that you could huddle in the TV room to watch Days of Our Lives with your sisters was a thing, too.  

Here's the Recipe:
1 small onion, chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1-2 pounds chicken, cooked and chopped
1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 10 oz. can tomatoes and green chiles
1 10 3/4 oz. can beef broth
1 10 3/4  oz. can chicken broth
1 10 3/4 oz. can tomato soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1-2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
Grated cheddar cheese
***Saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil.  Add chicken, tomatoes, soups, water and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat.  Simmer, covered 1 hour.  Add tortillas.  Continue cooking 15 minutes.  Add cheese on top when serving. 

5.  COACH CHARLIE STRONG'S BURNT ORANGE RAIN GEAR
Ok, maybe you don't think Coach Strong's outfit here is a Fall Favorite, but he is at the top of my list.  He has not had an easy time of it at Texas, but he is working at it and hanging in there and I BELIEVE.  Also, he cemented his position in this post and in my heart when he showed up to the game Saturday where it rained the entire time in burnt orange from head to toe.  WORK IT, COACH.


That's it, Friends!  Happy Fall and if you're in my part of the world take a drive down Harmony Church Road off of Route 15 into Purcellville.  God certainly did a mighty work there.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments: