Saturday, November 14, 2015

5 Things on a Friday (that do not include Timberlake)

Hi, It's Friday.  I'm going to tell you about some of my favorite things about this week.  And listen. despite the title of this post, Justin Timberlake will make the list because OF COURSE, HE WILL.  It's not as if I've lost my mind.


There will, however, be no mention of baseball in this list because in my world baseball season is way on over.

For a least a minute and half.

And all the baseball mamas, said, "The Lord is good and worthy to be praised.  Amen."

Okay, here goes:

1. Homemade Granola Bars
A long time ago my sister sent me a recipe for homemade granola bars that she found on this website and I finally made them.  You know how when you look at the ingredients on the box of granola bars at the grocery store, you start having flashbacks of studying for your Chemistry test when you were in high school when you really wanted to listen to your St. Elmo's Fire soundtrack on your pink jambox instead?  Well, there are no Chemistry flashbacks with these and they are SO YUMMY.  Sister is well aware of my limitations in the kitchen (which are many) so you can be sure these are also easy to make.  Now you can just go to the website and see the recipe, but if you're like me you're too lazy on a Friday to even deal with clicking to one more place so here you go:

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Heaping 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups quick-cooking/instant oats, such as Quaker Quick 1-Minute Oats (do not use regular old-fashioned oats)
  • 1-3/4 cups crispy rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds (I substitute sunflower seeds here because Drew has a nut allergy)
  • 1/4 cup flax meal or wheat germ (I use flax meal because for some unknown reason I already had it)
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or to taste)

First combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a large pot, bringing to a boil and then cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.



Add oats, rice cereal, sunflower seeds and flax seed meal and combine with a rubber spatula.


Line a 9x13 pan with foil (letting foil hang over all four sides of pan) and press granola mixture into the pan.  Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips and press in with spatula.  Transfer 9x13 pan to fridge for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Using foil overhang, lift granola bars out and place on cutting board. Cut into rectangles.  Keep granola bars in an airtight container in the fridge or they will be too crumbly because remember- they don't have any of that Elmer's glue or whatever it is in them that the processed, packaged ones do.  Your family will praise you at the city gates.  No lie.



2.  This Video of Me
I am pretty sure my kids can attest that based on their experience of what  happens in our house before visitors arrive, the person in this video is me.  Maybe the only difference is that this person is taller and appears to be a man.  Otherwise, UNCANNY.



3.  Crazy Fall Sales
Nordstrom is having a Fall Clearance Sale and Ann Taylor Loft is having 40% off EVERYTHING.   I know. Calm down, people.  If you are one of those people who loves ALL THE BOOTS AND ALL THE SCARVES AND ALL THE COATS AND JUST ALL THE THINGS, you will likely get yourself a heckuva a deal this weekend.

OR you could start Christmas shopping for your loved ones, Susie Selfish. ;-)

I really like these Franco Sarto Linden Boots.
I love the buckles and the fact that they have a reasonable heel height.  Because honestly, ain't nobody got time for tripping over her 4 inch heels while she's schlepping hot dogs at the concession stand at the high school basketball game.  These are 33% off.

There are some great prices on North Face right now.  I like this jacket.


Well, I showed it to Husband.  Now, I don't know about your man, but mine does not play it fast and loose in the clothing department.  He was alarmed by the two tone on this one.  Obviously, I was not thinking clearly.  I mean he's a grown man.  It's not as if he's going to a crazy rave or a frat party.  This one is more like it.  I mean we are grown ups, for the love.  Two tone? What was I thinking?





We all know I am a pajama expert and I also think pjs are the perfect gift for all your girl people, but the whole darn store is 40% off, so you can get your girl people dressed for the whole day.

4.  Brassica Farm Fresh Market and Cafe
If you are in my neck of the woods, you MUST go to Brassica in Aldie, Virginia.  It is the most adorable, most delicious, most non-chainy little cafe and it is perfect for a fall lunch with your BFF.  Listen, I'm not knocking chain restaurants because I enjoy a Panera Bread once in awhile and my husband and I spend 99% of our date nights at a fabulous restaurant which happens to have a lovely view of the Home Depot parking lot.  It's just that the leaves are beautiful in Virginia right now and they are dropping fast, so bust out of the 'hood and head west, young woman.  I have never heard of 75% of the stuff they put on my sandwich, but everything is delightful and you can sit outside at picnic tables.  As a bonus, you can buy local cheeses and bring home milk in a glass bottle.  You will feel exactly like Caroline Ingalls.

photo from Brassica Facebook page

5.  Well, of course.  Justin Timberlake
I know we are all losing our ever lovin' minds over the Drink You Away performance and that is totally justified.*  But I must suggest that we kick it back to 2002ish when JT came out with his first solo CD.  I will never forget when I was sitting in the basement in my pjs with a three year old and a one year old wondering how I would make it through the long day when Justin sang THIS on the Today Show.  And I thought, "Well, I declare, that boy from 'NSync can MOVE."  This is a great album.  The whole darn thing.  Go get it.


*I'm so clever I can't take myself.

NUMBER 6-GAZILLION:  PRAY FOR PARIS.  BE NEAR US, LORD.

No comments: