Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Veteran's Daybook: Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Outside my window:
the sun is bright and the sky is clear after a dreary, wet day yesterday.
I am thinking:
about my (girl) people this morning.  Oh, the testosterone up in here.  It takes a toll sometimes.  I miss my flesh and blood mom.  I need my flesh and blood sister.  Not on the phone, not in a text. Sometimes it is so hard to be so far away  Sometimes the missing comes out of no where and it makes me lay my head down on my desk and the tears come flying out all over the place.  There is no emergency or terrible tragedy that makes me need them so.  It's just the missing.  It's too much some days.  Today is that day. [and the massive glass of wine at lunch wouldn't hurt today either ;-)]

I am thankful:
that baseball season is over for 2015.  Baseball tried really hard to keep me around by throwing some excitement into the last game I had to attend.  Joe has not played catcher since he was about eleven, but when I showed up to his game on Sunday he was wearing the gear (borrowed from the opponent) He told me that none of the team's regular catchers could make the game that day, so he volunteered.  This kid is truly up for anything.  He is the ultimate "yes" man.  Although I think he might have kicked himself for being so eager - had his tired legs been able to actually kick - by the 7th inning of the 2nd game of the double header.  Still, it was an entertaining way to end the season. And, yes.  I love to watch him play - no matter what position he takes.
  
In the kitchen:
Brussels sprouts.  I'm obsessed.  There are lots of fancy recipes out there, but I really just like them tossed with olive oil and kosher salt and roasted at 400 degree for 20 minutes.  You're welcome.  Cooking Show to come, I'm sure.
I am wearing:
this green plaid shirt that I got from Target(!) for a gazillion or so less dollars than the plaid shirt I featured from Anthro (SCORE!).  I love the cut, the color, the material and the price.  Also, I'm wearing jeans and these boots.  Mine are grey, but unfortunately the grey is sold out.  They are, however, ON SALE in other colors.  I might not be a fan of The Donald but if he ends up in the White House, The Ivanka should be Secretary of the Boot Department. ;-)
I am listening to:
silence.
I am going:
to clean out boy #3's closet.  I have taken on one closet a day this week.  Please, hold your applause until I have tackled the third one.  PS I have discovered no less than 54 baseball hats so far.  This is only 1/3 of the number of hats in this house.

I am wondering:
about the significance of studying this verse for my bible study meeting minutes before discovering we had 54 baseball caps in our home.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy . . . For where your treasure is, there is your heart also." - Matthew 6:19,21

Ahem.  Understood, God.  Understood.
I am reading:
For the Love by Jen Hatmaker.  I'm trying desperately to drag this one out.  I'll be so sad when it's over.
I am hoping:
that the Great Fish Tragedy of 2014 does not visit us again.  Drew's buddy gave him a brand new fish for his birthday.  He's a delightful little fish.  Little Red is the epitome of health and vitality and though we miss our fungus riddled, protruding-eyed, freaky Blue Ridge the Betta Fish, we are blessed to welcome this little guy to his bowl, complete with blue disco light and plastic tree.
I am looking forward to:
Friday which will be the day that the very last 5th grade science project will exit the Skinner house.  And the people said, "AMEN AND HALLELUJAH."
I am praying:
for Joe and his classmates and faculty advisers  as they travel to Orlando tomorrow for a journalism education convention.
On my Ipod:
Well, THIS.  OF COURSE.
I am pondering:
searching for calling.  It seems to be a thing of late.  Especially among those of us whose babies are becoming more independent and perhaps even threatening to do something completely insane like attend college.  The elusive search can be a bit annoying if you think about it.  It, in fact, can devalue the essential day-to-day work we have been given by God to do NOW.  I didn't come to this thought process on my own.  Jen Hatmaker put me in my place with this:  "In many ways the perception of calling is a luxury of the privileged.  A life's purpose need not be authenticated by a business plan, a 501c3, a website, a salary, or an audience.  We get to labor over our "calling" because we are educated and financially stable, so many eschew the honor of ordinary work and instead fret over the perception of wasting our lives."
A quote for today:
"Balance.  It's like a unicorn;  we've heard about it, everyone talks about it and makes airbrushed T-shirts celebrating it, it seems super rad, but we haven't actually seen one.  I'm beginning to think it isn't a thing." - again from Jen Hatmaker in For the Love
A verse for today:

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you, he will never leaver you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid.  Do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8
One of my favorite things:
This kid who is helping me keep the faith.

A few plans for the week:
serious closet clean out, basketball tryouts are happening this week at the high school, lunch with a friend who I've been missing something fierce, and perhaps a trip to Lake Anna.
A peek into my day: 
praying gratitude for our Veterans, especially this one who I didn't have the privilege to meet, but who raised that little boy up into the biggest blessing of my life.  (And can I just point out that little baby Steve's shirt pretty much screams, "LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!")

Have a great day, friends!!

No comments: