Friday, May 6, 2016

5 Things on a Friday: The Return of Justin Timberlake. And all the people said, "Hallelujah"

Y'all. This post was pretty much all done and ready to be posted this morning. Then there was a bit of a wrench in my plans to leisurely get things in order around here. So I'm just now getting the last thing on the list today and am blessed to have friends who respond quickly to a Facebook post asking for a dehumidifier. In fact, I am sitting here waiting for a friend to bring one right to my house. People are so darn nice, I could cry. But of course, I could cry anyway.

If you're a friend on Facebook, here's your explanation:  I blame baseball and the fact that I'm a grade A moron.

I have a handy sink in my new laundry room. I had turned it on so that I could soak Joe's muddy baseball pants. And then I went on about my business. You know, blogging, watching Justin's new video, making beds, putting away laundry, taking the dog out and forgetting that the sink was running. I'm sure I heard some dripping and water, but it's been raining FOREVER so I thought it was rain. Anyway, overflowing sink, water leaking into the basement, blah, blah, blah. It's just been a laugh a minute around here.

So, let's just get right into 5 Things on a Friday because the weather and that little event have made me ready to drink a full bottle of wine at 3:00 pm. If you've had a less than stellar May 6, 2016 as well, let's just hang on until the #5 thing and our lives are going to improve significantly. JT to the rescue. I promise.

1. THIS. PLEASE. PLEASE.




What in the world is going on, Al Roker? Don't give me the Omega Block story. That makes no sense. I've lived for 47 years and for my first 40 or so years, I had never heard of all these weird things you keep talking about. Are you people messing with us? You keep making up stuff like Nino and Polar Vortex and Omega Block which sounds like some sort of vitamin or an epidural. We don't like it. I moved in this house on Wednesday, April 27th and I have not see the sun since Tuesday, April 26th. Did I move to Seattle? Should I add a rain jacket to 5 Things on a Friday or we about done here? Enough.

2. Advice for Sons





A friend posted this article on Facebook earlier this week and just about every single item on the list spoke to me as a mama of boys. Some of the advice is obviously for older boys, but most are definitely words to keep in your back pocket. I will warn you that it will take awhile to read because there are 58 things on the list, but the last is my very favorite:

"Some moms pine for girls. They spend decades grieving for the daughter they never had. Thanks to youI was never one of them."

And I would add this: "The world will change, friends will change. (*update: your sink will overflow in your new house.) God will never change. He is the same today, tomorrow and forever. And He will love you always. Remember Him because He never forgets you."


3. Advice for Moms: #1 Embarrass Your Children Early & Often



. . . especially this weekend because they have to be nice to you. After Prince died, I upped my karaoke/dance party in the car game by pulling out some 1987 cheerleader moves to Kiss and a very heartfelt rendition of Purple Rain that moved my children to tears. My go-to this week is this song by Megan Trainor. I'm also constantly singing this song by Gwen Stefani. Yesterday, I heard Bootylicious by Destiny's Child which could claim the top spot of all time for songs that will embarrass the fire out of your boys. Tragically, I was in my car all alone at the time, so singing "I don't think you're ready for this jelly 'cause my body too bootylicious for ya, babe"  was wasted on my fellow mid-day commuters on the Dulles Toll Road. It was such a shame.

*Incidentally, one of my favorite stories from the Lovely & Talented Mrs. C. was when her doorbell rang one day and since she was expecting one of our good friends she opened the door singing that exact line. (As you would, of course, for a dear friend.) Alas, she actually opened the door to the Moxie Pest Control guy. I'm pretty sure he wasn't ready for that jelly.

4. A Denim (or Plaid) Spring/Summer (or Monsoon Season, if you will) Shirt Dress


I know this dress is not denim. And also that if you live in my area, despite what the calendar says, it's not Spring and certainly no where near Summer. Still, this is the exact dress I just bought in denim at Gap the other day and for some reason it's not on the website in denim. I'm seeing denim everywhere and it's making me feel very early 90s. Which makes me think of living in Austin where it will be sunny and 86 degrees today. Which makes me think that if I would have known that my new house is apparently situated in the rainforest I might have bought a cute rain jacket instead of a spring denim shirtdress. Anyway, if the sun ever decides to return, I think any of these shirt dresses from Gap or the million other stores where they are being sold will be so cute with Converse or flip flops or no shoes at all. And just one more time for emphasis:


5. Justin Timberlake Makes Life Worth Living

One of the best things about having a friend who is up at the crack of dawn everyday is that she can find out very important breaking news stories and share them with you so that you are up to speed on world events even if you had trouble finding your phone that morning. For example, this is the text I got today.


I mean, sometimes she tells me who dropped out of the presidential race or that there was an earthquake or something. But, if you haven't heard, JT released a new song today which I can tell you for sure is going to played approximately eleventy million times a day around here until I know every.single.word. This video is pure happiness. After I know all the words, I will be on a search for Gwen's lipstick and Justin's hat. And I am not sure why I know this, but I'm 99% sure that I spotted Justin's mom is in this video and that is awfully sweet since it's Mother's Day weekend.




You're so darn happy now, aren't you? You're welcome.

Happy Weekend, Friends!

No comments: