Monday, May 9, 2016

Begin Again Daybook: Monday, May 9, 2016

Outside my window:
There is something bright and yellow and kind of shiny in the sky. It reminds me of a sun I used to know.
I am thinking:
about how that little peek of sun shining through the window at 6:00 am reminds me that if we are blessed enough to wake to the new day we have the opportunity to begin all over again. And to choose joy when things don't go our way. Last week was a rough one, so today I am thinking: Just begin again.
I am thankful:
for His "truckloads of grace. Grace that buries her fears that her faith was not enough and her faults were too many. Grace that says she doesn't have to measure up to anyone else because Jesus came down - and he measures her as good enough, as worthy enough, as loved more than enough. Grace holds you when everything else falls apart - and assures that everything really is falling together. Grace loves us when we are at our darkest worst and wraps us in the best light." - from Ann Voskamp. Perfect, perfect, perfect words.
In the kitchen:
Let's say there is a sense of uncertainty and ambiguity. Baseball games are scheduled for four out of five nights this week, so I'm not sure what to do about dinners this week. You would think I might have a handle on this dilemma by now but, alas, I have zero handle. Last week there were four baseball games scheduled and we only played one due to the weather so we ended up having dinner together just about every night. So I'd have to say the kitchen is probably feeling that I have some commitment issues.
I am wearing:
red/black/white plaid pj pants, red waffle knit pj top, a hoodie, and Texas Longhorn slippers. Watch for me in the Style section of The Washington Post next week for sure.
I am listening to:
the dryer spin with one of the many loads of towels I have to wash today after we used every last beach towel, bath towel, hand towel, washcloth and dish rag in this entire house to clean up my colossal mistake on Friday.
I am going:
to need a lesson on the Fit Bit. Yesterday after church we went to Dick's Sporting Goods (as you do on Mother's Day, of course) and the guys ended up getting me one. I'm not sure about it yet. At this point, I'm having trouble even "tapping" it on. Apparently, my tap is all wrong. Also, I know I could read directions, but I'd rather just have a friend who has one talk me through it. Anyone?
I am reading:
THIS. THIS. THIS. A MILLION TIMES. THIS. Ann Voskamp on what we all really want for Mother's day. DO NOT MISS THIS, FRIENDS. DON'T DO IT.
I am hoping:
for routine and familiarity - basically that means I am hoping for the Verizon strike to end. Do you know when it might be a bad time to move into a new place that will need cable, internet and phone reinstalled? Right in the middle of a strike. Our original appointment was April 27th. It's been changed three times. Steve has spent hours on the phone with them. During one phone call, the rep told him he was sorry that he was having trouble hearing him because they were in the middle of a Cinco de Mayo party. For reals. I need you to realize that we have had no ESPN on in our home for two full weeks. I'm not sure you can understand the depth of panic this has caused. Actually, I am quite proud that we haven't had to medicate anyone. I didn't miss TV until very recently. I think for me it's more about the familiarity and routine that my life is craving since our move. Everything seems different. Real life baseball has been canceled for over a week. TV baseball is happening all over the world, but our screens are blank. Somewhere Matt and Savannah are cooking something up with Giada and maybe chatting with Clooney. Dear Verizon: WORK IT OUT.
I am looking forward to:
Kyle's Kamp's Wood Bat Baseball Tournament's Opening Ceremonies at Nationals Park on May 21st. Open to the public! Entrance is free! Concessions will be open. You can sit anywhere you'd like in the park and watch two games played by the top fundraising youth teams playing in the tournament and of course, we will be honoring children fighting cancer. Go HERE for details.
I am learning:
to be flexible, transitional and patient. I mean I'm trying to learn that.
I am wondering:
if there is a happier place than Anthropologie. The answer is, "No, there is not. Not right now at least, friends." Their spring stuff is DELIGHTFUL.
I am pondering:
lessons on choosing joy from a little one who is basically 1/7th of my age. From the mouths of babes, indeed.
I am praying:
for the grieving mamas and daughters who wished on some level or maybe on every level that Mother's Day would hurry up and go away.
A verse for today:
Psalm 139: 7-18 which was read during our church service yesterday. I cried through the whole thing. This might be my very favorite Psalm.

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10  even there your hand shall blead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11  If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”
12  even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

13  For you eformed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.1
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15  My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16  Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

17  How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18  If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.


One of my favorite things:
My people. 1974ish?


A few plans for the week:
continuing to unpack and put away, crossing fingers for baseball to resume and maybe, maybe, maybe the return of ESPN and Friday Night Lights reruns to SkinnerWorld on Friday.
A peek into my day:



No comments: