Monday, February 10, 2014

I'm Still Cold Daybook: Monday, February 10, 2014

Outside my window:
there is a dusting of snow on the ground and it just hit 32 degrees.  That's all there is to say.
I am thinking:
that I'm sad that I missed getting tickets to Stomp at the National Theatre.  I'd like to add some culture to the boys' (and my) life since the only time they go downtown is to see a sporting event and I think they would have loved it  Bummer. 
I am thankful:
for books and for gifted writers who make me laugh and cry and think and who are brave enough to keep putting their words out there even in the face of possible rejection or disagreement or nasty internet comments.  For Elizabeth, Ann, Jen and Melanie, for Harper Lee, Margaret Mitchell, John Green, RJ Palacio, Kelly Corrigan and CS Lewis and a zillion others.  And especially for Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary who were the first to teach me that I would never ever be bored or lonely if I had something to read.
In the kitchen:
I have pulled out The South Beach Diet book.  I am not a fan of diets and I especially am not a fan of people talking about diets, so I won't say much except that I think my body reacts well when I follow the basic ideas of this one.  Apparently, my body does not react well to The Snow Day Binge Diet so it's worth a shot.
I am wearing:
boyfriend jeans and a pink and white striped Gap thermal tshirt.  If I don't quit pressing the STOP button on the treadmill after a quarter mile, I'm going to have to wear my actual boyfriend's jeans.
I am listening to:
the water boil in preparation for the fabulous boiled chicken I will be eating for lunch.  I simply cannot wait.
I am going:
to have to call the Maytag man because my washer is broken.  Then I'm going to need to watch reruns of Little House on the Prairie to channel my inner Caroline Ingalls.
I am reading:
The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle which literally made me laugh so hard that I had to put it down for a minute to catch my breath.  I am also reading To Kill a Mockingbird for maybe the fifth time because Joe's English class just started it.  I am imagining wonderful, bonding literary discussions with my firstborn.  I know that is unlikely, but please don't kill the dream for me.
I am looking forward to:
a dinner date with a couple of nurses who work with Pediatric Cancer patients this week to see how we at Kyle's Kamp can be of help in a more personal way with the kiddos. 
I am learning:
that you get what you pay for.  Don't buy the store brand trash bags.  This will be a mammoth mistake when you realize that you might as well have had everyone throw their trash on the kitchen floor.  Same result.  Dear Glad Bags, I am heartily sorry for these my misdoings.
I am praying:
for my neighbor, Mark, who has been fighting cancer and is having some complications and for his family, for my son to persevere under a tremendous work load from school and for a friend who has been dealt a ridiculously difficult hand . . . that she might believe that He holds a bright place for her at the end of this dark tunnel.  I pray that joy will come again for many in the darkness. 
On my Ipod:
Drew has a very old, cracked and remarkably still working ITouch and we let him download some songs last night.  This morning he bounded down the stairs at 7:00 am playing Happy for me.  Now that is a good way to start the day.
I am wondering:
when body image issues ever leave a gal.  I am one thousand times healthier, emotionally and physically, than when I was in my teens and twenties, but girlfriend, there are just those days.  When is it that a girl's heart catches up with her mind . . .  a mind that fully knows that she is so much more than those thighs or those parentheses wrinkles or those dark roots?
I am pondering:
Valentine's Day and how it gets some couples - I'll take a leap here and say the woman member of the couple - all bent out of shape when expectations aren't met.  Which brings me to this from Melanie Shankle's  book:
A quote for today:
As we navigate our way through this life, there are so many people who are ready to take shots at us and hit us in our blind spots.  Your spouse should fall into the category of people you can trust to have your back and say, "Oh, it wasn't that bad." Because enough voices will tell you, "YES, it was that bad," and sometimes we all just need a soft place to land.  I will point out that this a serious quote from Chapter 12, a chapter which made me spit out my drink I laughed so hard.  I'm telling you, you need this book.
A verse for today:
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." - Hebrews 10:23
One of my favorite things:
watching ice dancing with my four men.  The commentary is quite different from what is on NBC.
A few plans for the week:
the usual basketball and baseball practices, a possible overnight trip to Lake Anna and ignoring any and all weather reports.
A peek into my day: 
I'm calling it a sick day until the boys get home, even though I'm not sick. I am going to hit the couch with a blanket and these

 

No comments: